Somerset House, 131 Main Street, Spittal, Berwick-upon-Tweed, TD15 1RP
Rarely available on the open market, this impressive 176 sq. meter, three bedroom semi-detached house is offered for sale with simply breath-taking sea views. This handsome double fronted sandstone property is well-presented throughout, offering spacious accommodation over two floors together with private gardens to the front and rear, off-street parking and a detached double garage.
Property Details & Description
Hallway, Living Room, Dining Room, Rear Hall, Family Kitchen, Bedroom 3, Shower Room
Landing, Two Double Bedrooms, Family Bathroom.
Front & Rear Gardens, Private Off-Street Parking, Detached Double Garage.
Berwick Railway Station 1.3 miles, Edinburgh 58 miles, Newcastle-upon-Tyne 62 miles (all distances are approximate).
Spittal is located at the mouth of the River Tweed and runs along the coast with a beautiful sandy beach. Spittal became famous for its natural spa water in the early nineteenth century and became a resort destination for Victorians seeking fresh sea air and the beneficial effects of the mineral rich water. Spittal offers a village shop, pubs and schooling and nearby Tweedmouth and Berwick-upon-Tweed offer further amenities including five national supermarkets, restaurants and bistros, cafés, hotels and pubs and a wide selection of boutiques and shops. The town also has a thriving cultural scene with art galleries, a theatre and cinema, museums, a film and media arts festival and food festival. For those looking for an active lifestyle there is a newly constructed leisure center with a swimming pool, gyms, a football and rugby club, speedway, many golf courses locally and plenty of water-based sports and activities both on the Tweed and on the coast. Berwick also has wonderful coastal and countryside walks on the doorstep with hiking, rambling and mountain biking being very popular. For schooling there are nursery, primary, middle and high schools that serve the town and private schooling is available at Longridge Towers which is nearby. For those looking to commute, travel and shop, the mainline railway station in the town offers regular services to Edinburgh, Newcastle and London; both Edinburgh and Newcastle are under an hour travel time and London is approximately three hours and twenty minutes. There is also the A1 trunk road which bypasses the town and provides easy access both north and south respectively. Lindisfarne National Nature Reserve, Bamburgh Castle and the ancient Border towns of Coldstream, Kelso and Melrose are also within easy reach. Despite Berwick’s proximity to both Edinburgh and Newcastle, the area has a low population and can therefore offer a quality of life that is becoming increasingly rare.
Somerset House is an attractive, double fronted semi-detached house which offers bright and well-proportioned accommodation throughout, which has retained much of its original character and charm. The property has been well maintained and refurbished over the years, creating a most comfortable and elegant home. The accommodation is arranged over two floors, extending to circa 176 sq. meters and includes a bespoke country-style kitchen, two generous reception rooms and three large bedrooms.
The front door opens into a welcoming reception hall, with a grand staircase rising to the first floor and doors leading off. There are two generous reception rooms located either side of the hallway, both with windows to the front aspect and with fireplaces forming the focal point.
A rear hallway gives access to the impressive family kitchen which has been recently re-fitted to a high standard. There are a range of painted shaker style units with Quartz work tops and Belfast sink, a central island, a range of integrated appliances and a free standing range cooker. There is ample space for both dining and living areas and there is a window to the rear allowing for sea views and two external doors, one giving access to the enclosed and sheltered courtyard.
Also located on the ground floor and accessed off the rear hall is a useful storage cupboard, a shower room and bedroom 3, which is a generous double with a window to the rear.
A sweeping staircase from the ground floor leads up to the first floor landing where there is a large window to the rear affording spectacular sea views.
There are two generous double bedrooms, both of a similar size, both with a twin aspect and one with built in wardrobes. Supporting the accommodation on this level is a modern bathroom.
To the front of the house there is a large enclosed lawned garden surrounded by mature hedging and stone walling with well stocked flower and shrub beds.
To the rear there is a further area of lawn and an enclosed courtyard garden, accessible from the kitchen and ideal for al-fresco dining.
A private, gated driveway is accessed from the rear and offers ample vehicle hard standing and gives access to the large double garage which benefits from light and power.
For those with the use of Satellite Navigation the postcode for this property is TD15 1RP.
Fixtures and Fittings
All fitted carpets and floor coverings are are included with the sale.
Curtains, blinds and light fittings could be available by separate negotiation.
The dresser within the kitchen is excluded from the sale.
Listing and Conservation
Please be aware, Seaview is not Listed but is in a conservation area.
Mains water, drainage, electricity and gas.
Energy Efficiency Rating
Northumberland Council - Telephone: 0345 600 6400
Internet Web Site
This property and other properties offered by Rettie & Co can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.rightmove.co.uk www.onthemarket.com and www.thelondonoffice.co.uk.
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Particulars and Plans
These particulars and plan are believed to be correct, but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Rettie Berwick LLP, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he has not entered into contact in reliance on the said statements, that he has satisfied himself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or misstatement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
Rettie Berwick LLP, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie Berwick LLP have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.