1A & B Victoria Road and 49 Harbour Road, Eyemouth, Berwickshire, TD14 5JD
Built by a prominent Eyemouth family during the reign of George III, this handsome detached stone property sits in a prime waterfront position with no immediate neighbours and has a delightful garden with outbuildings. Currently divided into three separate apartments, the property would make a fantastic holiday let opportunity or an impressive family home if reconfigured, with the original stone staircase still in place. The house is in a wonderful central location and within a short walk of the town centre, beach, shops and restaurants.
Property Details & Description
Ground Floor: Kitchen, living room with store, two bedrooms and en-suite bathroom.
First Floor: Hall, living-dining room, kitchen, two bedrooms, box room, utility room, bathroom.
Second Floor: Hall, living-dining room, kitchen, utility room, two bedrooms, shower room.
Outside: Large private landscaped garden, outbuildings, river views.
Coldingham Bay 4 miles, Berwick Railway Station 8 miles, Dunbar 20 miles, Edinburgh 48 miles (all distances are approximate).
The property is positioned in a front-line position on the banks of the Eye Water, who’s tributaries draw water from across Berwickshire through into Eyemouth’s harbour and beach and out into the North Sea. Tucked away off Harbour Road, the house benefits from a very private and peaceful setting, yet only a short walk from centre of the town, harbour and beach promenade, with shops and restaurants on the doorstep. Eyemouth is an historic fishing town with a good range of local amenities, a well-respected junior and high school and a broad selection of sports clubs including Eyemouth Golf Club.
A lot of the industry in Eyemouth is based around the working harbour, this in turn offers the town a charm and character not found anywhere else. The town has access to miles of unspoilt coastline and beaches and is surrounded by a designated AONB (Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty) such as Coldingham Bay. Eyemouth also offers easy access inland to the beautiful Berwickshire countryside with its rolling hills and stunning views. The nearby river Tweed meanders along the border with England and is famed for its salmon and trout fishing.
Eyemouth offers easy access to the A1 for commuting both north and south, whilst there are two mainline railway stations in Berwick upon Tweed, 8 miles to the south or Dunbar, 23 miles to the north. There is also an efficient bus service that operates regular services to many of the nearby towns and villages, not to mention Edinburgh and Newcastle.
Despite Eyemouth’s proximity to both Edinburgh and Berwick upon Tweed, the area has a low population and can therefore offer a quality of life that is becoming increasingly rare.
Built in a prime riverside position in 1776 by a local family, this fine Georgian house served as a family home for many generations before being reconfigured to create three independent apartments. The options for a new owner are numerous, the property can remain in its current configuration, perhaps accommodating several generations of the same family, it could become holiday lets or buy-to-lets, or perhaps returned to become a large family residence once again. The house retains its original stone staircase and many charming period features including sash and casements windows and fireplaces. The ground floor is assessed through the front door that leads into a kitchen and on into a hall with storage. There is a reception room and large bedroom with windows to the front and a second bedroom with en-suite. On the first floor the apartment has its own private access from the garden to the side of the property into a hall with bathroom, storage and a box room. There is a sitting-dining room and two bedrooms with windows to the front and the second bedroom has a large walk-in wardrobe. On the second floor is the third apartment, with private access from the road. This apartment comprises a kitchen with utility room, living-dining room with storage, two double bedrooms and a shower room.
The property has an extensive enclosed private garden, offering development potential (subject to obtaining the necessary consents) to the front and side with outbuildings and a greenhouse. Parking is available to the rear and just off Harbour Road.
For the benefit of those with satellite navigation the property’s postcode is TD14 5JD
(please download the application “what3words” for the exact location)
Fixtures and Fittings
Fitted carpets, blinds and light fittings are included with the sale.
Listing and Conservation
The property is C listed and is within the conservation area.
Electric heating, mains electricity, drainage and water.
Council Tax Band:
Council Tax Band A
Scottish Borders Council
Tel: 01835 824000.
Energy Efficiency Rating:
B and F
Internet Web Site:
Offers should be submitted in Scottish Legal Form to the selling agents Rettie Berwick LLP, 50 Hide Hill, Berwick upon Tweed, TD15 1AB. A closing date by which offers must be submitted may be fixed later. Please note that interested parties are advised to register their interest with the selling agents in order that they may be advised should a closing date be set. The seller reserves the right to accept any offer at any time.
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves:
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Particulars and Plans:
These particulars and plan are believed to be correct but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
A Home Report incorporating a Single Survey, Energy Performance Certificate and Property Questionnaire is available for parties genuinely interested in this property. Please contact us, either by telephone or via the website entry for this property, to request a copy. No charge is made for electronic copies; a paper copy can also be made available from our offices or by post, at a charge of £20 to cover reproduction and administrative costs.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Rettie Berwick LLP, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he has not entered into contact in reliance on the said statements, that he has satisfied himself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or mis-statement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
Rettie Berwick LLP, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or mis-statement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie Berwick LLP have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.