Burn House, 4 The Rookery, Grantshouse, Scottish Borders, TD11 3RP
Nestled next to delightful woodland on the periphery of the small village of Grantshouse, an opportunity has arisen to acquire this attractive modern detached family home with landscaped gardens and countryside views. A new owner will be able to enjoy peaceful countryside living with the coast nearby, whilst having the benefit of Edinburgh only a forty-five minute drive away.
The house is currently configured as a three bedroomed home, but could easily be reconfigured to create a fourth bedroom.
Property Details & Description
Entrance Hall, Cloakroom, Sitting Room, Kitchen-Breakfast Room, Utility Room, Dining Room.
Galleried Landing, Master Bedroom with En-Suite, Two Further Double Bedrooms, Family Bathroom.
Private Driveway with Parking, Single Garage, Landscaped Gardens.
Dunbar Mainline Rail Station 12 miles, Edinburgh 42 miles, Berwick-upon-Tweed Mainline Rail Station 16 miles (all distances are approximate). Reston Rail Station (currently under construction) 6 miles.
Burn House is a delightful detached modern family home, built in 2009 and situated on the edge of the small village of Grantshouse with countryside and moorland walks directly accessible from the property. The A1 is nearby, ideal for travelling into Edinburgh which takes approximately forty-five minutes and mainline railway stations are nearby at Dunbar and Berwick-upon-Tweed, with regular services into Edinburgh, Newcastle and London Kings Cross. Grantshouse is a small settlement but there is a village hall and a popular café. The village is close to the beautiful coastline with St Abbs and the popular surfing beaches of Coldingham and Belhaven Bay being only a short drive away. Amenities and schooling are available in the nearby town of Eyemouth. Primary schooling is also available in the nearby villages of Reston and Coldingham. Slightly further away and to the North lies the historic town of Dunbar with shopping, schools and leisure facilities. To the south lies Berwick-upon-Tweed, famous for its stunning architecture, which has a wider selection of amenities and is well serviced with local and national shops, five national supermarkets and schooling for all ages including a private school at Longridge Towers. Berwick also has a selection of leisure and sports clubs, banks, public houses, restaurants and The Maltings theatre and cinema which offers daily shows and movies. The local area has a wide range of popular attractions and activities including Northumberland and Berwickshire’s rugged coastline of unspoilt beaches and beautiful landscapes; Berwick walls and pier are only minutes away while Lindisfarne National Nature Reserve, Bamburgh Castle and the ancient Border towns of Coldstream, Kelso and Melrose are within easy reach. Country and sporting pursuits are also readily available, including hill walking, salmon and trout fishing, riding, hunting and shooting. Golf is available at Eyemouth, Dunbar, Berwick, Goswick and the Hirsel. Swimming, gym, squash and indoor bowling facilities exist at the Swan Centre in Berwick-upon-Tweed. Despite Berwick’s proximity to both Edinburgh and Newcastle, the area has a low population and can therefore offer a quality of life that is becoming increasingly rare.
Built in 2009, Burn House as its name suggests, sits on the edge of a pretty burn or stream and has a lovely outlook over an old stone bridge. The house sits next to woodland and open fields which give it a lovely rural feel. The property offers spacious and well laid out accommodation over two floors, an attached garage and beautiful landscaped gardens. The house is approached through a timber five-bar gate and across the driveway. The front door opens into a large entrance hall with two windows either side of the door providing ample natural light. There is a cloakroom to the side with a window to the front of the house and comprising WC and hand basin, wall mounted chrome towel heater and timber panelling. The hall provides access to all the ground floor accommodation, with stairs rising to a galleried landing on the first floor and a storage cupboard beneath. The sitting room is a generous reception with windows to the front and back and a feature inglenook fireplace with multi-fuel stove, perfect for cosy winter evenings. The fireplace has a timber mantle, stone surround and sits on a slate hearth. There is a built-in media unit with cupboards and shelving and a study area. The kitchen-breakfast room is another large space with windows overlooking the rear garden and fitted with a contemporary range of high gloss and dual colour floor and wall-mounted units with timber counters over and subway tiled splashback. There is an induction hob with extractor over, an integrated electric oven, microwave and dishwasher. A utility room is situated off the kitchen with a window to the front of the house fitted high gloss floor units with counters over, subway tiled splashback and sink and drainer. Also off the kitchen is another generous reception room that could be used as a formal dining room or family room. This room has patio doors opening into the rear garden and patio, ideal for summer entertaining. From the galleried landing on the first floor, there is a master bedroom with en-suite, comprising corner shower, WC, hand basin and chrome towel radiator and two further double bedrooms. There is scope to create a fourth bedroom on this floor. Completing the accommodation is a contemporary family bathroom with a window to the rear and comprising bath with shower over, WC, hand basin and a chrome wall-mounted towel heater.
The house has a fully enclosed plot with monoblock driveway providing ample off-street parking, landscaped gardens to the front, sides and rear and an integral single garage.
For those with the use of Satellite Navigation the postcode for this property is TD11 3RP.
(please download the application “what3words” for the exact location)
Fixtures and Fittings
All fitted carpets, curtains, blinds and light fittings are included with the sale.
Listing and Conservation
The property is not listed and is not in a conservation area.
Mains electricity, mains water, private waste water treatment system serving four properties, oil central heating.
Energy Efficiency Rating
Council Tax Band:
Scottish Borders Council
Internet Web Site
This property and other properties offered by Rettie & Co can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.rightmove.co.uk www.onthemarket.com and www.thelondonoffice.co.uk.
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Particulars and Plans
These particulars and plan are believed to be correct, but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Rettie Berwick LLP, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he has not entered into contact in reliance on the said statements, that he has satisfied himself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or misstatement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
Rettie Berwick LLP, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie Borders LLP have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.