Hillside, Old Town, Ayton, Berwickshire TD14 5RA
A handsome period house situated on the edge of the sought-after village of Ayton offering spacious accommodation over three floors and delightful landscaped gardens. The village has a general store, popular pub, a community centre and a well-regarded primary school. The village is close to the coast and a mainline train station in nearby Berwick-upon-Tweed and the A1 making the area ideal for commuting into Edinburgh or Newcastle.
Property Details & Description
Ground Floor: Entrance Vestibule, Hall, Family Room, Sitting Room, Open-Plan Kitchen-Dining-Living, Utility Room.
First Floor: Landing, Master Bedroom with En-Suite, Double Bedroom, Family Bathroom.
Second Floor: Landing, Two Double Bedrooms.
Exterior: Large Covered Terrace, Landscaped Gardens to Front, Side and Rear, Garden Shed/Store, Unrestricted On-Street Parking.
Berwick Railway Station 8 miles, Dunbar Railway Station 20 miles, Edinburgh 49 miles (all distances are approximate).
The property is positioned at the end of an elegant terrace of nineteenth century homes on the periphery of the historic village of Ayton, famous for its impressive baronial castle. The house is just a short walk to the high street with a well-stocked general store, popular pub and the well-regarded primary school.. Ayton lies just off the A1 Trunk Road providing easy access both north and south to Edinburgh and Newcastle respectively and set eight miles from Berwick Railway Station, providing regular services into Edinburgh and south to London. Berwickshire is renowned for its beauty, its value for money and wonderful lifestyle opportunities. The countryside is varied and the coastline is impressive with miles of unspoilt beaches and areas of outstanding beauty. The village itself has a good primary school whilst Eyemouth, which is a harbour town within two miles, provides good local amenities and further schooling and Berwick is the northerly market town with its Elizabethan historic walls provides three Supermarkets, a wide range of Sports Clubs, local and national shops and an independent private school, Longridge Towers. There are many country pursuits including fishing, shooting and hunting and also a number of impressive Golf Courses nearby. To the south lies the Cheviot Hills, to the west the central Borders and nearby towns such as Melrose, Coldstream and Duns.
Hillside is a most attractive stone-built period family home offering accommodation over three floors and extensive landscaped private gardens and grounds. The house offers generous reception spaces and four bedrooms. The house is approached through a smart front door with elegant oval window above and into a vestibule, which in turn leads into a welcoming hall and family room which has a large and sash and casement window to the front and a multifuel stove on a slate hearth with timber surround and mantle. There is a storage cupboard with recessed shelving and stairs rising to the upper floors. The sitting room is a comfortable reception room with a large sash and casement windows to the front and side. There is a multi-fuel stove, perfect for cosy winter evenings which sits on a slate hearth with a brick surround and tiled mantle. There is also a recessed cupboard with shelf over. The generous kitchen-dining room is to the rear of the house with French doors leading out into the garden and a window and rear door leading out onto a covered terrace, ideal for relaxing and entertaining in all weather. The kitchen has a range of fitted floor and wall mounted units with counters over and off the kitchen is a utility room, with a window to the side of the house and plumbing for a dishwasher and washing machine and space for a dryer. The utility also has recessed storage and a cupboard under the stairs. Stairs rise from the reception hall to the first-floor landing which has a window to the rear of the house and kitted cupboard. The master bedroom with en-suite has two sash and casement windows to the front and built in storage. The en-suite comprises a double shower, WC and hand basin and has a window to the side of the house. A second double bedroom also has a sash and casement window to the front and is served by the family bathroom, comprising bath with shower over, WC and hand basin and has a window to the rear of the house. Stairs rise from the first floor to the second floor where there are two further double bedrooms, both with dual aspects to the front and rear and with eaves storage.
To the front of the house is a low-maintenance raised garden area with unrestricted on-street parking. A side gate opens into the generous and fully enclosed landscaped gardens to the side and rear of the house. The gardens are mature and consist of a walled garden, formal lawn, detached outbuilding, a rear covered terrace off the kitchen and several terraced areas with views over the village and surrounding countryside, perfect for seating, growing fruit and vegetables or for children to play and explore.
For the benefit of those with satellite navigation the property’s postcode is TD14 5RA.
(please download the application “what3words” for the exact location)
Fixtures and Fittings
All fitted carpets, curtain, blinds and light fittings are included with the sale.
Listing and Conservation
The property is C listed but is not within a conservation area.
Electric and solid fuel heating, mains electricity, drainage and water.
Scottish Borders Council.
Council Tax Band:
Council Tax Band E
Internet Web Site:
This property and other properties offered by Rettie Berwick LLP can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.rightmove.co.uk zoopla.com, www.primelocation.com, www.s1homes.com and www.thelondonoffice.co.uk
Offers should be submitted in Scottish Legal Form to the selling agents Rettie Berwick LLP, 50 Hide Hill, Berwick upon Tweed, TD15 1AB. A closing date by which offers must be submitted may be fixed later. Please note that interested parties are advised to register their interest with the selling agents in order that they may be advised should a closing date be set. The seller reserves the right to accept any offer at any time.
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves:
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Particulars and Plans:
These particulars and plan are believed to be correct but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
A Home Report incorporating a Single Survey, Energy Performance Certificate and Property Questionnaire is available for parties genuinely interested in this property. Please contact us, either by telephone or via the website entry for this property, to request a copy. No charge is made for electronic copies; a paper copy can also be made available from our offices or by post, at a charge of £20 to cover reproduction and administrative costs.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Rettie Berwick LLP, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he has not entered into contact in reliance on the said statements, that he has satisfied himself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or mis-statement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
Rettie Berwick LLP, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or mis-statement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie Berwick LLP have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.