Kiwi Cottage, Scremerston, Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland, TD15 2RB
An impressive five bedroom 2626 sq ft Grade II Listed Georgian family home occupying a private position, within a private walled garden that extends to circa 0.6 acres.
The property benefits from a wealth of period features, has delightful views over farmland and surrounding countryside and enjoys a light and bright atmosphere, by virtue of its southerly aspect.
Property Details & Description
Reception hallway, sitting room (log burning stove), dining room (working fireplace), drawing/garden room (working fireplace), cloakroom/WC, study, kitchen.
Gallery landing, en-suite master bedroom, three double bedrooms, single bedroom and family bathroom.
Large lawned gardens, driveway, outbuildings, distant views.
Berwick Railway Station 3 miles, Newcastle-upon-Tyne 63 miles, Edinburgh 58 miles (all distances are approximate).
Field Seymour Parkes
1 London Street
Kiwi Cottage is set within its own grounds on the edge of the north Northumberland village of Scremerston. Located just inland from the beautiful coastline with miles of unspoilt beaches, Scremerston has a village school and Berwick Rugby Club, whilst being only three miles from the ancient market town of Berwick.
Berwick-upon-Tweed is England’s most northerly market town and is located on the northern banks of world famous salmon fishing River Tweed, where it joins the North Sea. This bustling town offers a wide range of amenities including local shops and national shops, three supermarkets, schooling for all ages, including a private school at Longridge Towers, excellent sports clubs and leisure facilities. It is also well positioned for commuting throughout the region with the A1 trunk road linking both north and south to Scotland and Newcastle respectively, whilst there is a mainline railway station that connects to both Edinburgh and Newcastle in circa 45 minutes and London in circa 3.5 hours.
Surrounded by beautiful Northumberland countryside, the coastline also offers miles of unspoilt beaches, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and of historical interest such as Bamburgh Castle, Holy Island, the Farne Isles and Dunstanburgh Castle. This region offers a wonderful lifestyle opportunity, whilst having great national links.
Kiwi Cottage is a handsome family home with imposing Georgian features which has been much improved by the present owners, whilst retaining and abundance of character and period detailing including working shutters, panelled doors, deep skirtings and fireplaces. The flexible living accommodation is spread over two floors offering great versatility for modern family life. The house is accessed from the front door straight into the entrance hallway where at the far end is a central monkey tail staircase to the first floor. There are two formal reception rooms, both to the front elevation. The sitting room has a fireplace housing a multi fuel stove as its main focal point, whilst the dining room also has an open fire. To the rear of the property is the drawing room/garden room. This large spacious room has a lovely informal feel, it too has an open fireplace and French doors that open out to the garden and sun terrace. To the rear of the property is also the dining kitchen which provides the heart of this family home, with a range of quality wall and base cabinets with timber work surfaces, a Belfast sink unit with granite drainer and surround, tiled flooring and splashback tiling the walls, a window seat and door leading out to the garden. A study is towards the side elevation and leads from the hallway. Finally, on this floor is a cloakroom/WC.
On the first floor is the master bedroom, with dual aspect this large double room has windows to both front and side elevations. Bedroom 2 also has dual aspect to front and side and has the advantage of an en suite bathroom. Bedrooms 3 and 4 are good sized double bedrooms, both with dual aspects looking towards the side and rear elevations, whilst Bedroom 5 would make an excellent dressing room or nursery and is to the front. On this floor is the family bathroom with a modern white suite with double ended bath and separate shower cubicle.
The main house benefits from several in-built cupboards and a loft which could be utilised for storage.
The grounds include a range of outbuildings and patio areas, together with a generous sized lawn and formal gardens including mature apple and pear trees. The outbuildings are serviced by water and electricity and could be developed further to provide a home office or studio.
The property benefits from planning permission for a single storey side extension under ref:20/00177/FUL & 20/0017/LBC. Further details and copies of the plans can be obtained via the selling agent.
For those with the use of Satellite Navigation the postcode for this property is TD15 2RB
(please download the application “what3words” for the exact location)
Fixtures and Fittings
All fitted carpets are included with the sale. Light fittings and curtains/blinds are excluded from the sale but could be available by separate negotiation.
Listing and Conservation
Grade II listed
Mains Electricity, Water & Drainage
Oil central heating & hot water.
Broadband – Superfast
Current Charge until 31st March 2022 - £2,881.72.
Energy Efficiency Rating – Exempt
Northumberland County Council
Telephone: 01289 330044.
Internet Web Site
This property and other properties offered by Rettie & Co can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.rightmove.co.uk www.onthemarket.com and www.thelondonoffice.co.uk.
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Particulars and Plans
These particulars and plan are believed to be correct, but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Rettie Berwick LLP, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he has not entered into contract in reliance on the said statements, but that he has satisfied himself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or misstatement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
Rettie Berwick LLP, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie Berwick LLP have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.