Newburn School House, Upper Largo, Fife, KY8 6JE
Delightful former schoolhouse close to the Fife coast.
Convenient for St Andrews, Elie and Dumbarnie Links.
Outstanding accommodation over three floors.
Contemporary and traditional rooms.
Extensive bedroom accommodation.
Lovely southerly aspect, with open sea views.
Property Details & Description
Superb open-plan kitchen/dining room leading to large family sitting room.
Former school room used as games / party room and exercise/yoga studio.
Entrance hall, drawing room, library/tv room, boot room, laundry/utility room.
8 bedrooms & 5 bathrooms.
Large bunk room & study.
Enclosed garden around house.
Charming orchard opposite with pavilion and set out for grass tennis court.
Garage with large storage capacity.
EPC = F
About 1.1 acres in all.
Newburn School House enjoys a beautiful setting on the edge of the hamlets of Newburn and Drumeldrie, a short distance to the east of Upper Largo. The southerly views from the upper floors of the house, out over the Firth of Forth and along the Fife coastline, are outstanding. Newburn is located in the East Neuk of Fife – a wonderful, sought after corner of the county, running from Largo Bay all the way to St Andrews, comprising quaint fishing villages perched around pretty harbours, amazing beaches and fertile farmland. The villages of Lower Largo and Upper Largo provide primary schooling, a post office, local shops, a garage, a pub and a hotel. The adjoining villages of Elie and Earlsferry, with their beautiful sandy beach and sheltered bay, are about 4 miles distant. Sailing and water sports are available at Elie and there is an historic 18 hole golf course along with a 9 hole course suitable for beginners. Elie is well served by shops, pubs and cafés including the renowned Ship Inn. Elie Sports Club offers tennis courts and a bowling club. The area is well suited for walking, cycling and horse riding, with the Fife Pony Club available for younger enthusiasts. St Andrews, the ancient and historic university town, renowned worldwide as the “Home of Golf” and host of the 2022 150th Open Championship, is about 12 miles distant. A newly constructed secondary school (Madras College) is located in St Andrews with private schooling available in the town at St Leonards and also the High School of Dundee. The area around Newburn is well suited for golfers with a number of highly rated courses within easy striking distance such as Ladybank, Crail, Lundin Links, Kingsbarns and the already renowned new championship course at Dumbarnie Links which is only a mile from the house. Edinburgh is within an hour’s drive of Newburn whilst Edinburgh Airport provides both domestic and international flights and is approximately a 45 minute drive away. There are railway stations at Kirkcaldy, Ladybank, Markinch and Cupar.
The original centre section of Newburn School House is believed to date from around 1632 when it was used as a school room. The house was then extended into its present form circa 1850. Further additions were made in 1930 with the new space serving as the local village hall. The property was purchased and upgraded by the current owners in 2007 who worked with Lorn Macneal Architects to form the superb family home which exists today. Newburn School House is a truly superb Scottish country property, combining charming traditional rooms in the west wing with impressive, large open plan contemporary rooms in the east wing. The main front door leads to a hall with a drawing room to the side whilst at the heart of the house is the beautiful spacious kitchen which has a south facing door to a south facing terrace and front garden and two doorways leading through to the main family sitting room. The school room beyond also has an outside door and is a fabulous games, party, exercise or yoga room. The north part of the house comprises a boot room opposite the back door with the library/tv room behind. There is a useful back kitchen / utility room with a shower room adjacent to the north door ideal for gardeners and beach walkers. There are five bedrooms and a study on the first floor. The lovely master bedroom with its en suite bathroom and dressing area is a feature of the house. The remaining four bedrooms share two bathrooms. There is a landing on the second floor with bedrooms 6 and 7 either side. A shower room connects to the back stairs and bedroom 8. Also off bedroom 7 is a large bunk room which is ideal for younger visitors’ sleepovers.
The garden immediately in front of the house comprises lawns either side of the front door and a paved sun terrace outside the kitchen. There is a gravel drive and parking area for three cars to the rear where there is a double garage and log store. A raised lawn with a tree house, and the lawn to the east of the drive with a sunken trampoline are not on the property’s titles but the house has maintained the lands, and had the benefit of their use, for many decades On the opposite side of the road is a 0.8 acre orchard surrounded by high hedges. There is a circular pavilion with a dovecote above in the middle. There is also a circular hedged area with a pagoda, a vegetable area in the corner and the ground is set out for use as a grass tennis court.
General Remarks & Information
Viewing is strictly by appointment with the selling agents Rettie & Co, 28 Bell Street, St Andrews KY16 9UX. Tel: 01334 237700.
The property’s postcode is KY8 6JE.
Fixtures and Fittings
Only items specifically mentioned in the particulars of sale are included in the sale price.
Entry & Possession
Entry and vacant possession will be by mutual agreement and arrangement, but not before 1 November 2021.
Mains water and electricity. Oil fired boiler. Private drainage.
Fife Council, Fife House, North Street, Glenrothes, Fife KY7 5LT Tel: 0345 155 0000 Website: https://www.fife.gov.uk.
Council Tax Band
Newburn School House is Listed Category B
Newburn Schoolhouse has a right of access over the access square to the orchard.
A Home Report incorporating a Single Survey, Energy Performance Certificate and Property Questionnaire is available for parties genuinely interested in this property. Please contact us, either by telephone or via the website entry for this property, to request a copy. No charge is made for electronic copies; a paper copy can also be made available from our offices or by post, at a charge of £20 to cover reproduction and administrative costs.
Offers should be submitted in Scottish Legal Form to the selling agents Rettie & Co at 28 Bell Street, St Andrews KY16 9UX.
A deposit of 10% of the purchase price may be required. It will be paid within 7 days of the conclusion of Missives. The deposit will be non-returnable in the event of the Purchaser(s) failing to complete the sale for reasons not attributable to the Seller or his agents
In the event of planning permission / development being granted on the orchard / garden to the south side of the road within a period of 15 years the Seller will be entitled to payment of a sum equal to 20% of the uplift in value associated with the grant of planning permission. Further information is available from the selling agents on request.
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Particulars and Plans
These particulars and plan are believed to be correct, but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
Websites and Social Media
This property and other properties offered by Rettie & Co can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.rightmove.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com and www.thelondonoffice.co.uk. In addition, our social media platforms are facebook.com, RettieTownandCountry, twitter.com, RettieandCo, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Proof and Source of Funds/Anti Money Laundering
Under the HMRC Anti Money Laundering legislation all offers to purchase a property on a cash basis or subject to mortgage require evidence of source of funds. This may include evidence of bank statements/funding source, mortgage or confirmation from a solicitor the purchaser has the funds to conclude the transaction. All individuals involved in the transaction are required to produce proof of identity and proof of address. This is acceptable either as original or certified documents.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Rettie & Co, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he has not entered into contact in reliance on the said statements, that he has satisfied himself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or misstatement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
Rettie & Co, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie & Co. have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.