Polwarth Rhodes Cottage, Polwarth, Duns, Scottish Borders, TD10 6YP
A most attractive detached period stone cottage, tucked away in the delightful hamlet of Polwarth, near to the market town of Duns. This characterful property is offered in excellent condition throughout with a modern kitchen and bathroom and stunning views over the surrounding countryside from the pretty garden.
Property Details & Description
Open-plan Kitchen-Dining Room, Utility Area, Living Room, Double Bedroom with En-Suite.
Landing, Sitting Room, Two Double Bedrooms, Family Bathroom.
Driveway with Off-Street Parking, Landscaped Garden, Decking.
Duns 4 miles, Berwick Train Station 19 miles, Edinburgh 43 miles, Kelso 13 miles, Melrose 22 miles. (all distances are approximate).
Polwarth Rhodes Cottage is located within the small hamlet of Polwarth, which lies in the heart of the Berwickshire countryside, about 19 miles due west of Berwick upon Tweed. The area is one of the genuinely rural parts of Great Britain despite its close proximity to both Edinburgh and Newcastle.
The historic town of Duns, located approximately 4 miles east, is centred around a Market Square which offers an excellent range of amenities including local shops, cafes, restaurants, pubs and professional services. The town also offers a well-respected and successful High School and a Primary School as well as Duns Castle which offers ample dog walking opportunities around the grounds and Hen Poo Park.
The immediate area provides a good variety of recreational activities from events and gardens, to excellent opportunities for the country sports enthusiast. There is salmon fishing on the River Tweed, trout fishing in various local lochs and pheasant and grouse shooting on local estates. There are a number of good golf courses in easy reach, including Duns Golf Club which is only a mile away, Goswick Golf Club and the championship Roxburgh course near Kelso.
Berwick-upon-Tweed which is within a short drive is a vibrant town with a good range of national services and retailers and has a number of hotels, restaurants, pubs and wine bars. There is the popular Maltings Theatre and Cinema as well as a regular market and a number of galleries and arts and crafts shops. Berwick also offers private schooling from ages 3 to 18 at Longridge Towers School (www.lts.org.uk).
The cottage is well placed for good transport links with the A1 trunk road only 19 miles away and the mainline railway station at Berwick-upon-Tweed providing a fast link to London Kings Cross (3h 39mins), Edinburgh (43 mins), Newcastle (45 mins) and Leeds (2h 19 mins). Edinburgh and Newcastle airports have regular flights to London and a variety of domestic and foreign destinations.
Polwarth Rhodes Cottage is a stone-built Victorian cottage located amongst woodland in the sought-after and very private hamlet of Polwarth. The property provides family living accommodation over two floors and combines traditional and modern styling throughout. The property is beautifully presented internally and benefits from mature garden grounds and a delightful outlook over the surrounding countryside.
The property is approached over a driveway which provides ample parking and leads up to the front door. The front opens into an open-plan kitchen-dining area with a window to the front. The kitchen has a contemporary range of floor and wall mounted units with granite counters over and integral appliances that include an electric oven and hob, dishwasher and plumbing for a washing machine in the adjoining utility space. The living room is a spacious and bright reception room with a window to the front of the cottage and a recessed multi-fuel stove set on a hearth, perfect for cosy winter evenings. Completing the ground floor accommodation is a double bedroom with en-suite shower room. Stairs rise from the open-plan living area to the first floor landing, which gives access to the master bedroom with three fitted double wardrobes and a bathroom. There is another generous reception room on this floor that could be used as a fourth bedroom or home office and a further double bedroom.
The cottage is positioned within mature garden grounds that are mainly laid to lawn, with a decked area for entertaining and a large driveway providing ample off-street parking. The cottage offers stunning views over the surrounding countryside and there are lovely country walks right on the doorstep.
For the benefit of those with satellite navigation the property’s postcode is TD10 6YP.
(please download the application “what3words” for the exact location)
Fixtures and Fittings
All fitted carpets, curtains, blinds and light fittings are included with the sale.
Listing and Conservation
Please be aware, Polwarth Rhodes Cottage is not Listed and is not in a conservation area.
Oil central heating. Mains electricity and water. Private drainage.
Energy Efficiency Rating
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves:
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Particulars and Plans:
These particulars and plan are believed to be correct but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or mis-statement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
All genuinely interested parties are advised to instruct their solicitors to note interest with the Selling Agents immediately after inspection.
Offers must be submitted to Rettie Berwick LLP.
Formal contracts are expected to be exchanged 6 weeks after the survey has been carried out.
A deposit of 10% of the purchase price will be required upon exchange of contracts. The deposit will be non-returnable in the event of the Purchaser(s) failing to complete the sale for reasons not attributed to the Seller or his agents.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Rettie Berwick LLP, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he has not entered into contract in reliance on the said statements, that he has satisfied himself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or mis-statement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
Rettie Berwick LLP, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or mis-statement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie Berwick LLP have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.
Internet Web Site:
This property and other properties offered by Rettie Berwick LLP can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.rightmove.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, and www.tlo.co.uk.